Monday, June 30, 2008

Forgiveness and Gratefulness

Ok, so I’ve been thinking about Hannah’s most recent blog, the one about Advice. Truth be told, when I first read it, the second time and the third time – my reaction was… “Quit whining and man up!!” “Try motherhood at 16!” “Try motherhood when you are literally below the poverty line and have to go sign up for WIC so you can feed them!” “Try motherhood when your spouse is not existent!” “Try motherhood when you are all alone and don’t have friends who are going through what you are going through!” “You think you’ve got is tough, you don’t have a clue!” For this I want to publicly apologize…I’m so sorry Hannah and all other moms out there. It bothered me that I had this reaction, and to someone I care deeply about! I had to get it off my chest. I tend to forget that no matter what the circumstances, motherhood is hard, tough, trying and demanding physically, emotionally and spiritually. In the end, we all share common concerns, prayers and hopes for our children.

I have found that the best way to combat all the …um – can’t think of a word here, so I’ll go with…crap, is having the attitude of gratitude. To be thankful for EVERY situation, even when it’s so bad that all you can think of to be grateful for is the fact that you can breath (thanks Mrs. Claire). When you begin to physically say, out loud, your gratitude, and with perhaps a good dose of tears – the gates of heaven open. God begins to transform your attitude, thoughts and perceptions. Notice I said God begins – you don’t have to do the hard stuff. The only thing you are responsible for is sending out the invitation with your words of thankfulness.

So I’ll start… “God, thank you so much for your provision for us mothers. Thank you for your faithfulness to do what you say you will do. Thank you that where you have started a good work in our children, that you will be faithful to complete it – even if we royally screw up the responsibility you gave us. Thank you that you guide our steps; that we aren’t left up to chance. Thank you that I have a home, even though you can’t see the floor for all the toys, the sink for the dishes and the fact that it smells like sweaty children. Thank you that I have clothes, even though there is a pile of laundry. Thank you that we have food to eat – even whatever that was that is now growing penicillin in the back of the refrigerator. The fact that we had enough to even have leftovers. Thank you that I have friends in my corner and love me despite of my rude, self pity reactions. Thank you that we have each other to hold accountable, to lift us up and to say, “yeah, I understand..” Lord, bless my friends, keep them, shine your face upon them, be gracious to them, turn your countenance to them, and give them your peace. Amen.” Now it's your turn...love you all. Go MOMS!!!

2 comments:

Christy Ward said...

Thanks for your honesty!! Your blog hit at home for me b/c within the last week, I have found myself making a list in my head of what I have to be thankful for in my life now.

KateVonGlahn said...

Thanksfullness is like chemo to the cancer of dissatisfaction.