Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Everywhere the Great Enters the Little….CS Lewis

I remember very distinctly, when I was young (…and stupid), praying for wisdom like Mama Sue. This is where I find God to be quite humorous…guess how you get wisdom??? Yep, the same way you get courage, strength and patience. *sigh*

Perhaps this prayer is why I go very much OCD when I read or hear something that strikes a chord in me about the nature of God. I must read or listen to it over and over and over again. Perhaps I’m trying to convince myself that it’s real or maybe I have to let it sink into every atom of my being, so that I know, that I know, that I KNOW. I very much wish I could be one of those people that can read it, accept it, remember it and move on to the next thing - this I think is true wisdom. Wisdom or philosophical nonsense…something drives me on.

So, the Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. Yep, I’ve read this over and over and over. I recall the analogy in The Shack about the blue bird and its limitations. That it was created to fly, but you clip his wings and he must live within the limitations of the purpose for which he was created. Or perhaps when you humor a child in conversation…you get on their level.

Today I read an excerpt from CS Lewis’ book Miracles…

"Everywhere the Great Enters the Little. We cannot conceive how the Divine Spirit dwelled within the created and human spirit of Jesus: but neither can we conceive how His human spirit, or that of any man, dwells within his natural organism. What we can understand, if the Christian doctrine is true, is that our own composite existence is not the sheer anomaly it might seem to be, but a faint image of the Divine Incarnation itself – the same theme in a very minor key. We can understand that if God so descends into Nature, and our thoughts into our senses and passions, and if adult minds (but only the best of them) can
descend into sympathy with children, and men into sympathy with beasts, then everything hangs together and the total reality, both Natural and Supernatural, in which we are living is more multifariously and subtly harmonious than we had suspected.


“…the power of the greater to include the less…Montaigne became kittenish with his kitten, but she never talked philosophy to him. Everywhere the great enters the little – its power to do to so is almost the test of its greatness.”

No comments: