Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Clevers

I felt like June Clever last night. We all actually ate at the table – steak, spinach mashed potatoes, fresh sliced tomatoes, AND with real dishes! We LAUGHED A LOT! The neighborhood kids patiently waited for the children to finish so they could all play. The children cleared their dishes, gave me a kiss on the cheek, ran out the door as I yelled at them to be home by dark. Joshua and I finished cleaning the kitchen and went about our evening playing with the dogs on the back porch. There was a cool breeze in the air last night. It was great! AAAWWWW! All was right with the world... I cherish these moments.

To really appreciate this I guess you would need to know that most nights we are eating on paper plates with the children eating a the bar, and joshua and I standing at the kitchen counter. Usually it's because I've had an attack of OCD and must get something done or cleaned OR it because I'm totally worn out an all I want to do is sit and watch TV, read or play with the children and/or dogs. The children are usually busy until dark with projects or the neighborhood kids to the point that I have to "tie them down" to eat. And Joshua just falls in sink with the mood of the evening - one of the things I love about him. This is just our way of living - I don't think that it's a bad thing - just life! I did grow up where the evening meal was always around the table, with a meat, greens, starches and bread. And I used to compare myself to this constantly - feeling guilty. While I still feel it's important, I finally let it go. So, I really do appreciate, and I think so does Joshua and the kids, when we have a real deal sit down meal! I think I will try to have a least one a week.

No comments: